Lacson slammed the gov’t choice of Chinese firm as 3rd telco player

Senator Panfilo Lacson on Wednesday slammed the government’s choice of a Chinese firm as the third player in the local telecommunications industry.

“China Telecom: the heck of a choice between duopoly and national security. One is doom; the other, doomier. Isn’t there a third alternative?” Lacson said on Twitter.

Lacson made the remark after Malacañang said President Rodrigo Duterte wants the third telco player from China to start providing its services by the first quarter of 2018.

Once it starts operations in the Philippines, the Chinese firm will go up against telco giants Smart Communications Inc. and Globe Telecom.

Last week, Philippine Telegraph & Telephone Corp. (PT&T) said it hopes to seal a partnership deal with China Telecom Corp. Ltd, which was chosen by the government to be the third player in the local telco industry.

The Chinese firm must partner with a Philippine company as the 1987 Constitution mandates a 40-percent limit on foreign ownership in public utilities.